Daniel_Decker
Newly Registered

Bur Oak Planting Problems (Too much water?)

Hi, this is my first time posting here, so keep in mind I'm a noob.

Last Saturday (5/5/12) I planted a 5" caliper, 18-20' tall Bur Oak in my back yard. It was B&B and had been out of the ground for close to a month. The root ball was 50" across and 3' deep, tapered.

It has been just over a week since I planted the tree, and now I am worried that something is wrong. The leaves are all turning brown and shriveling. We have had a crazy amount of rain since I planted it, not to mention I watered it like crazy the day that I planted it. Would this be as a result of too much water?

This is my first time planting a tree, so I really have no clue. I definitely don't want it to die, so please help.

I have posted pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/20807577@N07/sets/72157629707692920/

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

what kind of soil are you in? if your hole is near the size of the rootball and not-very-drainy clayey soil, it could easily be too wet in there.

Daniel_Decker
Newly Registered

I made the hole a foot wider than the rootball on all sides. It is a foot deeper, and the radius was a foot wider all around.

After digging about a foot and a half down we hit red clay.

So you think it is too wet? Is that what would be causing my leaves to do what they are doing? If so, once it dries out a little all will be good right? Is there anything I need to do or not do? How often should I water and how much?

Thanks.

WildcatNurseryman

The very definite problem is that you started off with a 20+' Bur Oak. They are notorious for being difficult to transplant, and if it does survive it will set there for 5-7 years and do little of anything. Large container trees are more expensive but they have their roots in place the day they are planted and take off MUCH faster than a B&B tree. B&B trees, on the other hand, can have 75-85% of their roots removed. You could have started with a 12 foot container tree in a 50-75gal. and it would catch up and pass the Balled tree. I have a good example of this in my front yard. I planted two Redbuds on the same day. One was a 2.5" 'Silver Cloud' and the other was a 1" #15 'Forest Pansy'. Three years later the "Forest Pansy' has caught the 'Silver Cloud', and will soon pass it.

I realize you had what seemed to be a huge rootball, but that tree had already set roots out 6* feet deep and 15+ feet wide. Another couple of trees that don't like to be moved at a large size is Blackgum and Gingko (several other oaks as well).

Good luck, that is a great tree. The weather being wet is a blessing in a transplant situation, as long as it eventually slows down.

Daniel_Decker
Newly Registered

Thanks for the comment, but what's done is done. I'm just wondering about the current tree that is planted.

WildcatNurseryman

I didn't mean to make it sound like you did something wrong to make the situation worse. Sorry if it sounded that way. The tree you have now may benefit from a treatment of liquid root stimulator. NO Fertilizer, just root stimulator. Keep it moist through the Summer and it is just a game of wait and watch from there on. (Next early-spring fert. is okay)

Daniel_Decker
Newly Registered

Thanks Wildcat.

I have some liquid root stimulator that you connect to the end of the hose and water in. I guess that is what you are talking about right? Could I potentially use to much of that do more harm than good? At this point I want to just make sure I don't make matters worse.

WildcatNurseryman

Something with indolebutyric acid (IBA). Willow water contains this same chemical and can be made at home by cutting up 10-15 pencil thin willow braches into 1-2 inch pieces. Don't mind any leaf that gets in the mix. In a 5 gallon bucket steep them in boiling water and let them set for a day. Fish out the wood and water away. I would guess that a tree your size might require two buckets and I would treat it two times, and then discontinue the use, instead switching to straight water.
I am not sure of the spray that you already have. Sorry. Could be perfect but it could also be some sort of fertilizer (most likely).

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”