AnimalBabe

best time to move Thuja Green Giant evergreens?

Hi, I have a bunch of Thuja's and noticed two of them are growing too close to a nearby tree that seems to have gotten much bigger than it was when we planted the Thuja's near it. When is the best time to transplant evergreens? Thanks!

WildcatNurseryman

I would transplant them in the very late Winter/ Very early Spring. Buds on new growth have, most likely, begun to grow so chance of transplant shock go up.
You asked at a good time though. Root pruning NOW and moving in the timeframe I suggested would be prime. In order to root prune you will need a sharp long spade. Simply sink the spade as far as you can into the ground about 3" inside of the actual sized rootbal you will need for the actual transplant. This will produce dense root-growth inside of the ball you will dig in the Spring, instead of outside of the ball you will be moving. Extra water will be needed for the plants this year as you will be cutting a certain amount of roots and it will experience some shock.
Take into consideration that every sized tree requires a different sized ball. Different types of trees may even require different sizes.
How large are they? How long have they been in their present location? What is your soil like? Where they B&B or container plants?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”