Chickenooble

Can someone identify this flowering bush?

https://I.imgur.com/0cBj6.jpg

I've been parking by these bushes for the last couple years and I just noticed they sprout flowers. I'm looking for some shrubs for in front of my house and these, depending on a few variables, might be contenders... if I only knew the name.

Thanks in advance.

WildcatNurseryman

Does the leaf have any dentation? Is it very smooth or does it have pubescence? Can you tell how wide a single plant is? Many times parking area planting is done in mass so it may be difficult to tell with-out doing a little poking around between the plants to tell their individual size. I suspect that they have been harshly sheered as well so shape will be less of a determining factor in IDing them. Are the wild branches to the right sticking out a part of this plant or a weed/volunteer amongst them?
A close-up of the leaf may help a bit, as well as your recollection of the fall color and/or berry.

Chickenooble

Thanks for posting in this thread.

Unfortunately, I don't know what it looked like in the winter because I just never cared to pay attention. I'll see if I have some pictures on my phone which show it in the winter... maybe see if there is anything on Google maps or whatever.

As far as the answers to your other questions, I'll try to snag a sample in the morning and take some good, detailed pictures up in the office. I'll also poke around and see how many bushes there are, if there are weeds, etc.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

chinese privet, perhaps?

Chickenooble

So I inspected the plant a bit more, as best as I could.

The leafy offshoot on the left appears to be part of the plant. I shoved my hands deep into the bush and tried to open it up to get a better look, and that's when I learned that there are long thorns on each of the branches. Each thorn is about half an inch long, if not a bit longer.

The leaves are kinda shaped like almonds with a shiny top side. The leaves and new growth branches appear to have very, very fine fibers... but they're so sparsely placed, it doesn't seem to be a huge feature of the plant. The leaves also have 'jagged' edges, but they're very soft soft leaves. I tried taking a picture with my cell but it won't take one so up close with the details. The 'jags' are small, almost like a serrated steak knife, where the distance between the valleys are about 1mm, with rounded peaks.

The flowers grow in clusters and each flower has five petals. When the flower is bloomed, the petals don't touch.

I couldn't find out much about the innards of the plant because my hands don't like pain. :P

WildcatNurseryman

Pyracantha of some sort for sure.

WildcatNurseryman

Very nice detective work, by the way.

daisydayofsummer
Newly Registered

It looks like a viburnum hedge to me :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, not much like viburnum which does not have thorns, does not have toothed leaf margins, does not have flat topped flower clusters, etc:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _tinus.jpg

For comparison, here is the original photo that was posted for ID

benali

Don't know what it is, but I see them around here planted by people who've bought them from nurseries (zone 5b, black dirt, midwest/great lakes area). A fairly common hedge bush, whatever it is. Looks like Firethorn to me... except that Firethorn leaves are more "glossy" or "shiny" that the photo. If you can photo the berries that would probably tell whether it is Firethorn.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”