Blue Crisp
Newly Registered

SOS - Climbing plant needs ID - I want to revive it quick!!!

Hi all :)

I study in Budapest and in the crumbling-but-characterful apartment building in which I live, there was this lovely creeping plant that grew from the floor below. Sadly the neighbours have moved away and I saw the stems were snipped a while ago just above the soil box. The shoots have started to grow and then stopped, and the vines have become dessicated. As a last resort I've cut the vines at my level and placed them into water with NPK. The inside of the stem was still green so I think there is a chance that the plant is still viable - my question is twofold:

1. does anyone have an idea what kind of creeper this is?
2. how I can increase it's chances of living again this year? - I assume I should dip the cut stems in rooting powder, however unsure whether to place directly in soil or in water to root - considering the plant will need a lot of water if it is to grow foliage in the next few weeks, would placing in soil without roots kill it? It'd be most grateful for any advice :)

(I only have one image of the green foliage, the rest are of the changing colours in October)

Many thanks!

I put photos of the plant in my gallery here, I simply can't work with this complicating image-insertion method!!!

https://gallery.me.com/odhrans#102064&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=5[/url]

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks a fair bit like the north american virginia creeper, not sure how common that would be there...

Blue Crisp
Newly Registered

thanks :) any idea on how to save it anyone? by putting the cut vine stems in water, will that be enough until the roots start?

applestar
Mod

Most vines that can climb walls would grow roots from leaf nodes. I think water will be sufficient to grow roots, but rooting in soil produces healthier soil roots whereas rooting in water will grow thick brittle water roots.

If you want to try rooting in soil, make a soil mix of half soil and half sand. Cut a piece of the vine with three sets of leaf nodes (or four leaf nodes if the leaves are alternte rather than paired) and clip the leaves from bottom two. (usualy middle of the vine rather than the tip is better for rooting feom cuttings). Bury the bottom two in the soil. If there are leaves on the top node(s), cut off 1/2 to 2/3 of the leaves, leaving the rest attached. (this conserves the amount of moisture lost through the leaves but preserves some leaf surface for photosynthesis). I usually root three or four cuttings per pot and cover the pot with a plastic soda bottle with the bottom cut off, leaving the top open. Keep in bright location away from direct sun and only water if the surface of the soil starts to dry, then water until water comes out of the bottom of the pot.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”