mkaragon78

what to do with pine needles?

We have a huge pine tree in our backyard that we just trimmed up to about 6ft. Here to find 20 years of old pine needles. I'm not sure what 2 do with them all. Some we did leave under the tree around the newly transplanted hostas that we planted to cover up some of the bareness left from the lower branches that we took down but we still have a huge pile of needles that we don't know what to do with! Please help!

WildcatNurseryman

You can bring them to me in Kentucky and I will sell them for $8.50 a bale. Just joking, but they are one of the best mulches for preventing weeds and are in general considered a very good mulch for acid-loving plants.

mkaragon78

That's kinda what I figured but since we are using rock around our house the only place I really got to use them at is under the tree with my hostas under there :( so just trying to fig out other things to do with them? Is it ok 2 mix some in with my compost or would that be to acidy for my veggie garden area?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I might leave those pine needles where they belong, under the tree. Providence will compost them soon enough.

mkaragon78

Well that's normally what I would of done but now that we have trimed the tree there are some areas now that we would like to grow grass. Obviously not right around the tree. Which is where I did leave some needles since I'm gonna make a shade garden there. But there were just too many needles! Like I said 20 years worth. Would it maybe be ok 2 put the extra needles in a tube tote type thing? It has a fews holes in the bottom so not really useful for anything. Maybe store it in the shed to use it in the fall or summer around the tree in the shade garden area? Idk its just a huge pile!

WildcatNurseryman

Saving them for later use sounds like a great idea. (if you can spare the room)

mkaragon78

Yup we have the room just wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not lol thank you!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”