sburt
Newly Registered

S.O.S. for my Fiesta Forsythia!!

I am in dire need of some advice. I have three Fiesta Forsythia plants and they are truly one of my favorites in the garden. This past year they took a lot of abuse from lack of my attention and the overcrowding of invasive plants. I just finished uncovering them and found them in pitiful (read shameful) condition. What I found is long stringy stems with tiny leaves. I am sick. What can I do to save them and return them to their once gorgeous condition??? Can I cut them way down to encourage them to grow strong? Or, should I bite the bullet and put them out of their misery? I greatly appreciate any advice given.
Thanks so much,
Sburt

cupakathy

forsythia

Everything I've read about forsythias is to cut them back short and not be afraid to prune them - they can take it!

Lots of helpful instruction on you tube, too.

Are they getting lots of sun?

Kathy
"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

WildcatNurseryman

Kathy, some of the Forsythia actually do better in partial shade (although Oregan is a little different). Some of them are grown for their variegated leaf, which may burn in very hot sun, as opposed to their flashy blooms.
I agree that they can be cut back with-out worry, and that is what shouuld be done in this case; probably by about half.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”