philipisland
Newly Registered

Question regarding planting White Cedar

hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about planting Thuja occidentalis. We just bought a dozen of these and would like to eventually create a bit more privacy for our backyard. In doing a bit of research about planting these, it was mentioned not to plant near a septic weeping field. I was wondering how far would be considered too close?

The area we hoped to plant these cedars is approx. 30 ft from where we think the weeping field starts (this is a new home to us). What is a safe distance. We were also wondering how far away from the house these trees should be planted with concerns to our house foundations.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kurt

WildcatNurseryman

Thirty feet is more than enough. These plants have a fiberous root that shouldn't effect a foundation, but could search out and clog a water source. Large powerful tap-roots like those of oak, maple etc. are not the problem as they seem to produce more numerous smaller anchor roots.

philipisland
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

philipisland
Newly Registered

I forgot to ask this question WCNM. Please excuse my ignorance as I know little to nothing about gardens and plants. I've read that with these cedars (and other plants I imagine) you can "train" the root system to grow in a certain direction by watering on one side of the plant. Is there any truth in this statement?

Thanks again.

K

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If you beleive you can get tomatoes from planting them upside down, yes you can get the roots to grow in one direction if the plant is placed next to a foundation. Do not listen to wannabes.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”