Four
Newly Registered

Problems with Italian Cypress near septic tank & waterli

First off

So, I bought 10 1g Italian cypress trees this weekend on a bit of a whim, I've been wanting to plant some trees / hedges in front of a 4' chain link fence I have in order to get some privacy for my back yard, also so my dogs cant see through as well to bark at dogs that walk by.

So I have a couple questions. First, will I have problems with these being near my septic tank and/or water main coming into my house? I wont let them get super tall, most likely cutting them off at 6'-8'. How far do I have to have them away? Unfortunately I really cant avoid them all together since the water main goes right under the fence on one side of the house, and the septic tank is fairly close to the fence on the other side of the house..

Also, any general advice on planting and placement of these?

Thanks

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Never plant anything near a septic tank unless you want to pay to put in another. It is not the top you have to worry about because when you trim the top the bottom still grows.

Four
Newly Registered

bullthistle wrote:Never plant anything near a septic tank unless you want to pay to put in another. It is not the top you have to worry about because when you trim the top the bottom still grows.
What is "near" and is that the same with the water main?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

What are you attemtping to accomplish to destroy your septic. Roots grow farther underground especially towards water so you wouldn't know how far until your septic stopped working. If the water main breaks you might have a problem. My pipe broke after 20 years underground.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”