Timilisa
Newly Registered

Hi! First posting, peaked Sago Palm, help reviving?

Hello! This is my first posting on this forum. I hope to meet a lot of fellow gardeners here. I have been gardening for about 30 years. I am always trying new plant varieties, always pushing the recomended zones when it comes to growning, always looking to learn something new! I know a little bit about everything having to do with gardening. -Just enough to get into trouble. I have been trying some "new" (to me) tropicals in my Northern California garden. Wouldn't you know, we had record-breaking low temperatures this winter - down to 21F, which is cold for us, and I have 3 plants in particular looking rather sad. 1st is a Sago Palm. It made it through covered without croaking, but it's fronds are yellowish. Can anyone recommend a good fertilizer to correct this? Is it simply a case of iron or? Should I cut the yellow-ie fronds off? Next are 2 different Michelias a Figo, and an Alba. The Figo (I think the common name is banana shrub?) Is doing great, lots of new leaf and flower buds, I just don't know what to feed it. Something that I would feed Rhodies? or just a good ol' 10-10-10? Last is the Alba. It lost all it's leaves, and many of the branches died back about half way to the trunk. However, it is budding on the braches that are left and I think it'll come back. Because of my zone, I've put it in a 20 gallon pot, and will bring it inside from now on. But I really want to help it and give it a boost to really leaf out again. What should I feed it? Thanks so much for the help!!!!!!! :D

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Timilisa,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener.
1st is a Sago Palm. It made it through covered without croaking, but it's fronds are yellowish. Can anyone recommend a good fertilizer to correct this? Is it simply a case of iron or? Should I cut the yellow-ie fronds off?
If your sago withstood those temps it must be a King or Prince sago as the Queen won't tolerate those temps, even with a cover. The yellowing could be due to a manganese deficiency, but just how the yellowing occurs will help to determine what is the problem. From this site which has some helpful info.
https://www.emilycompost.com/sago_palm1.htm
A condition called frizzle top is probably the most common problem. This is a manganese deficiency causing the new leaves or upper leaves to turn yellow. This will start as spots and eventually the entire leaf is covered. There is a way to correct this. Spray the leaves with manganese sulfate. Once a month for three months mix one teaspoon of manganese sulfate per gallon of water. You can also apply one to five pounds (gauging with the size of the plant) of manganese to the soil in the springtime to correct or prevent the problem. Along with this recommendation, it is always wise to have a soil pH check and to check the moisture content of the soil. As always, too much water and less than desirable drainage will cause root damage. If that is the case, the sago will be unable to absorb the nutrients.
Old leaves may turn yellow from over watering or too much fertilizer.

New leaves may turn yellow from excessive fertilizer and in general poor soil conditions.

The yellowing and browning leaves can be removed from the plant with no harm to the mother plant and will enhance the beauty of the sago. When trimming cut as close to the trunk as possible. This will encourage new leaves to emerge also.

2 different Michelias a Figo, and an Alba. The Figo (I think the common name is banana shrub?)
Yes, banana shrub is the common name. The Alba is not quite as hardy as the Figo.

Newt

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”