AnimalBabe

ideas for compact evergreen tree?

I am looking to get a compact evergreen tree, by that I mean growing no more than 10 ft wide, and hopefully no more than 15 ft high. I want to use it as a privacy tree, to block out some awful neighbor's yard. However, I don't have a ton of room where I would plant it, hence the size requirement. I would love to have something pretty to look at too, maybe one that flowers in the spring, or even a fruit tree. Do you have any recommendations? We already have Thuja Green Giants in the backyard, so I'm familiar with those and don't really want them on that side. Thanks!

WildcatNurseryman

Some of the shrubs/trees I like for this size-range and for their toughness are 'Nigra' Aborvitae, 'Holmstrup' Arborvitae, 'Yellow Ribbon' Aborvitae, 'Hicksii' Taxus, 'Elegans Viridis' Cryptomeria, 'Nellie Stevens' Holly, 'Blue Maid' Holly, 'Little Gem' Magnolia. Other trees can be sheared to keep them in your bounds- Canadian Hemlock and Leyland Cypress are a couple of examples of those, along with many Junipers. Hope this helps you. PS- Depending on where you live in VA you may also consider Camilia.

AnimalBabe

Thank you for those suggestions! I actually was thinking of a Little Gem Magnolia, but read online they can get pretty tall, almost 30 ft? Is that right? I don't want a huge tree in this particular spot, though I'm sure it would take years to get that tall. A nearby nursery sells 5' ones. Would you recommend planting that in the fall? I'll take a look at the others you mentioned asap and will be asking more questions, I'm sure. :) Thanks again.

AnimalBabe

Well that was quicker than I thought, lol. Just took a look at all the trees you mentioned. I think the only ones I'd be interested in are the Magnolia, or the Holly. I think Holly trees are really pretty, but don't they drop a lot of berries? I have a toddler and don't want him running around eating them if they are poisonous. Also two cats...

WildcatNurseryman

A very old tree might reach that size under absolute perfect condictions, but it would have to make it though a lot of storms and probably wouldn't see that size for 25-30 years from a 5 ft. container. I tend to plant any broad-leafed evergreen in the early Spring so desiccation isn't such an issue. Winter winds take a big tole on their broadleaves especially when they don't have an opportunity to set some roots out before that time arrives. Just guve them a little extra water in the dry months and you should have great luck. PS 'Alta' Southern Magnolia is my favorite between the two if exposure is an issue. I have several of them on jobs and they have done beautifully.

WildcatNurseryman

You could plant a male holly, but they sometimes are hard to find in a tree form and are generally used a pollinators for the female plants.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”