Royiah

Tree novice needing help?

Ok so I went to a spring garden event today and fell in love with a couple of trees and bought them. :oops: When I asked the people there they gave all kinds of differing info on them so I'm a bit confused.
I bought a red japaniese maple and an eastern redbud. O:)
someone told me they don't do well in the sun but when I looked them up online it said they love it. I'd really like to know which is the truth. :?
Also how deep do I bury them when I plant them?
Is it too late to be planting them in my yard? Their just starting to bud.
How big do they usally get? I was told they both get between 20ft and 30ft tall. Is that true? I looked the red maple up and I got alot of different sizes.
How do I care for them? I was told to mulch them when planted but how much? Do I fertalize? How often do I water them?
Sorry about all the questions I want to know everything before I plant them.

WildcatNurseryman

Both trees can be planted in sun or part-shade. Trees in the sun are generally more dense and if your maple is red it will be a more intense red color in the sun. You could possible get some sun-scorch with either tree, but it isn't something that will permantly damage the tree, usually showing up in very late summer. Watering your new tree is dependant on your soil. Sandy soil could require daily watering in your first year, while clay soil may only require a single watering each wek. Weather is obviously a factor as well. Both trees do require good drainage as they are both suseptible to verticilium wilt, and soggy roots are a no-no. Moist but not wet is the rule of thumb. Don't fertilize the first year. In the fall it is a good idea to wrap the trunk with burlap or similar material as the plants are not always used to the bright new Fall/Winter sun on their bark and that often can cause cracking sunscald. As the tree becomes accustomed to it's new location you can skip the wrap. Mulch 2"-2.5" deep with a good grade A hardwood or pinebark mulch taking care not to allow the mulch to contact the base of the trunk. Plant level with the ground if container grown, loosening the roots before planting. Balled and Burlap plants should be opened at the top before filling in to assure that the tree was not too deep in the root-ball from the nursery. The root flair should be level with the existing soil.

Royiah

That was very helpful! Thanks tons!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”