dtlove129

Kwanzan Cherries

Anyone had any luck out of them? I'm thinking of getting 4 of them that are 6.5 feet tall to create a privacy area on one side of my house. I hope they grow as fast as it seems online and I hope they are strong because we have a windy location.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

From my perspective where you live and the wind I wouldn't waste my money and besides they will allow screening when they are in leaf.

WildcatNurseryman

I have always stayed away from cherries for the most part because they are somewhat buggy and disease prone making it fairly short-lived. I have sold an awful lot of them though because people just can't get over the bloom. A similar shaped tree that is stronger and longer lived is the Syringa reticulata 'Ivory Silk' or Japanese Tree Lilac. Very tough, disease resistant AND has a fragrant bloom.

dtlove129

Thank you guys! I only asked because I found what seems to be a good price of 24.99 6-7ft.

I'm a fellow wildcat fan too, but have been transplanted to Central IL. I went to the South Carolina at Rupp game back in early January. Getting ready for this tournament!

WildcatNurseryman

The tourney is going to be a blast. Only bad part is the season is almost over. :cry:

WildcatNurseryman

By the way, I just got 40- 5' Sawtooth Oaks for $7.49 a piece. coldstreamfarm.​net

dtlove129

Wildcat, at least summer is approaching. The best thing about winters being cold is all the basketball to make time pass. Hell if we had NCAA b-ball year round I wouldn't ever get anything accomplished.

Hey, I appreciate everyone's input but I'm going to bite it and buy these cherries and pray. They are a good price and look nice, and if the 4 of them don't survive then I'm only out $100. Plus this is our first home, and I'll probably never see them mature anyhow I just like to grow things.

6.5 feet tall, should I stake them? I read many different opinions on it, and I want to not stake them to make them stronger and plus right now there isn't a whole lot of top heaviness to them.

Fear the Brow!....actually some of my friends (husband/wife) they have that patented for those shirts in Lexington.

WildcatNurseryman

I normally don't stake trees unless you can just straight out tell it's going to be a problem. I have always suscribed to the theory of stronger root systems from the ability to move a bit. Commercial jobs ALWAYS get stakes but that is just a landscape arch. tapping a key. If you have an extreme prevailing wind you might put one cross-brace style stake in but I think you're okay with-out.
As for Summer basketball--- yea, I'd be in the poor-house too. It's bad enough in March!!! We've got some Tigers to skin today and hopefully we'll get to feast on some Gator again before the seasons over.
lol @ browdown comment.

dtlove129

Thanks, I watched that Bourbon St webcam a lot yesterday, and just got depressed. I felt like I should be there with the 7:1 ration of UK fans having fun on bourbon with some bourbon. I hope to get the chance to go over to St Louis (if they end up in that region). STL is only 2 hours from me, so I could actually drive over and scalp tickets.

What do you know about Cleveland Pears?

WildcatNurseryman

It would be nice to be down there, but I like your idea sbout St. Louis better. It's a long hawl to NO. Stay away from Bradfords completely. Not only do they break to pieces, they have been so overplanted that they are now getting fire blight so bad that they don't even look good when they aren't broken in half. They have also become a HUGE weed from reseeding, and to top it all the saplings are covered in 2 inch spikes. Some areas here in Lexington are completely covered in nothing but these trash weeds now.

dtlove129

Closer than it should have been today! I knew the bradfird was poor but what about cleveland?

WildcatNurseryman

Yes it was. Teague, in particular, and the team, in general played the worst game since the SEC began. Oh well- still won. Gator stew for lunch?
The Cleveland is an improved Bradford essentially, improved crotch angles, but still is prone to disease, and I have seen MANY poorly branched Clevelands. I'm doing a plan for a Doc in town that has an entire drive full of Clevelands 24-30, and it's going to be about 1-2 more years and they are going to go downhill fast. Still TERRIBLE structure. There are so many good trees to choose from before having to resort to pears, in general. In short the Cleveland is a step up from the bottom of the barrel (Bradfords).

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”