liz
Newly Registered

China doll tree

I planted a China doll tree last spring/summer and during the winter all the leaves died of course and the trunk turned black.However, the bottom of the trunk still looks good. Do these trees regererate every year, is it dead, do I need to trim it back? I did remove all the dried branches.

webmaster
Site Admin

Anyone?

frogesque

OK, I'll have a go but I've no personal experience with this tree.

It's a tropical tree, but can be grown indoors in more temperate zones so might not be winter hardy in your area. Best to wait until spring to see what happens. Aparently they can regenerate providing the root system survives. Wouldn't do any harm to protect the lower trunk with a strawbale if you are prone to hard frost and dry winds.

[url=https://users2.ev1.net/~sivek/plants/chinadoll/chinadoll.html]China Doll (Radermachera sinica)[/url]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Frogesque! That ones outside my expertise, for sure.

Where in Fife? I used to live in Dalgety Bay, between Dunfermline and Aberdour... (I was little...)

Scott

frogesque

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Thanks Frogesque! That ones outside my expertise, for sure.

Where in Fife? I used to live in Dalgety Bay, between Dunfermline and Aberdour... (I was little...)

Scott
If you follow the coordinates you will end up in the dead heart of Fife (Glenrothes :lol: ) Home to strange concrete hippos etc. and roundabouts that grow in the night!. I know Dalgety quite well. I served my appenticeship on the industrial estate there - before all the new houses were built.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I was one of the first in all the new houses... :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”