highdensity10
Newly Registered

Butterfly bush . . . . . ugh. . . . .

The plants around this yard look like someone spilled nuclear waste on them. They are all HUGE.

I have a butterfly bush in the corner of my garden that is probably easily 12 feet high. The trunk(s) at the bottom are probably 8-9" in diameter and there are at least 6 of them.

One side of the plant is leaning on the fence, so I probably need to just cut that side completely off. The other side will need to be pruned back drastically, and I'm worried these actions will kill the thing. The larger branches are very brittle and break easily, almost like they are dead, but there is new growth on all the ends.

Is it worth trying to save this plant or would I be better off trying to make a start from it and putting it somewhere that it will fit?
How would I go about making a start from it?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Prune them back now to 12 inches. And fertilize. Yes the old wood is brittle but that is nature.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

takes a whole lot to kill butterfly bush, I wouldn't worry too much.

highdensity10
Newly Registered

bullthistle wrote:Prune them back now to 12 inches. And fertilize. Yes the old wood is brittle but that is nature.
Chainsaw ok? 8)

WildcatNurseryman

I would take a little less aggressive approach. I realize that Buddleia are very hardy, but simply lopping it off at 12" when the plant has a caliper as large as you describe is overdoing it. It would most likely sucker back up and live, but a better aproach for the plants health and the ultimate shape of the bush would be to cut it back by half or to the secondary branches. A yearly pruning similar to this one will keep it healthy and full-blooming for years to come. I would use a sharp set of loppers instead of a chainsaw too. I have killed a buddleia by over-pruning. (a less hardy 'sungold' yellow variety)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”