estam
Newly Registered

Arborvitae question

Hi all, I would like some advice on the winter care of newly planted arborvitae's and live in Michigan. So far it's been wet but I'm sure soon we are going to pay for this mild weather we've been having. I planted 5 arborvitae in a row approx 4 feet apart and are approx 3 feet high. They need to be protected from a heavy snow fall and would like to know what I have done so far is sufficient.

I was talked into buying burlap bags and cutting and shaping them rap round the plant. Being they have a flimsy top I used a 4 foot stake and pounding it into the ground at an angle so the top is just over the top of the arborvitae that will support the burlap. I wrapped the plant and tied it around with twine. I built up the base with 3" of wet leaves to hold in the moisture in and project from some freezing temps. My only concern is the plant being shut off from any light, will this do any harm?

My other alternative was to buy a product from Home Depot that is a green chicken wire made from a vinyl that is reasonable flexible, would this be a better solution?

Many thanks for any suggestions,

estam
Newly Registered

I hope I wasn't too long winded, I suppose my only two questions are:

The plant being shut off from any light, will this do any harm?

and using the green chicken wire made from a vinyl that is reasonable flexible, would this be a better solution?

Hope everyone had great New Years Eve celebrations.

Many thanks for any help.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Do not worry about rain. Snow and wind will do more harm then anything. It is why I dislike the plants. You have gone to great lengths. The burlap is fine but what happens when they get 8' tall. What will you do then? Hemlock are a better alternative. Take the leaves away or else you'll have brown branches come spring.

estam
Newly Registered

Thank you, The snow was what I was worried about but after few years I was told that there is no more need to wrap but just gently tie the branches so they don't touch the ground each time there is a heavy snow fall. I will remove the leaves, they were just there to protect the base from a bad frost.

I suppose my main concern with the burlap was the no sun, so I take it that it isn't a concern!

I will check into the Hemlock, thanks for your post.

Dave...

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”