MrBoZiffer

Questions about a pecan tree

There is an old pecan tree in that sits between my property and my neighbor's, but it is ultimately my neighbor's tree. It has never produced edible nuts. They are always too raw or very dried out. The tree is clearly dying but I've even been told that it may be sick. This week my neighbor is having it cut down, which is probably best.

My neighbor is not gardener, so he has no use of the tree or its remnants. I'd like to get the stump pulp for my compost pile and some of the wood for fire/cooking. So here are my questions:

1. How do I know if the tree is truly sick? The tree is covered in weeds and vines except for the branches. So I only have access to nuts and leaves. I guess I could ask the crew when they cut it down. If the tree is sick, I suppose that rules out using the pulp compost.

2. What's fair price to offer my neighbor for the pulp/wood? It's costing him $1000 to cut it down, which he doesn't seem to happy about (I don't blame him), so I'd like to offer him something. However, I don't know how to price something like this. Maybe $50? Maybe $75 - $100 if it's a ton of wood.

Thanks!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Use your judgment because obviously you are not close. More then likely it is a fungus that pertains to pecans so I doubt it would cause problems for your compost or why not just spread it on the garden. A cord of wood depending on where you live. Look through craigslist.org to see what the prices are if you want to buy but why not just ask if it is free if your neighbor doesn't burn wood.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”