OldThymer

Tree planting etiquette question

I recently bought a new house (in May) and I got a boundary survey done (I have 23 corners....no lie). I want to plant trees along 2 lines of the boundary but I want to start at a corner. I am wondering what people's thoughts are concerning planting a tree where the pin sits (I would remove the pin and center the tree at the pin location). I'd love to do some type of evergreen (probably a conifer) but I also LOVE Dawn Redwoods (I planted 5 at my old (no rental) house so I am thinking of planting one of those. I have one corner that is marked by a tree (some type of evergreen, I'm not sure what type) so I know that it is done in this area.

My biggest concern is the branches on a Dawn Redwood extend quite far as do most evergreen conifers. Also, the land that boarders this pin is all rental property, if that matters.

So what are some opinions on this? Contacting the landlord is an option but I'd have to figure out who it is first.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Planting on the pin is planting on the boundary line so the neighbor could rightfully prune half of the tree that falls over the line. You do not want to get into a pissing match like that. A fence is one thing a tree is something else. Depending on where you live there could be code enforcement rules.

applestar
Mod

I agree with the comments made.
I live in a small-lot division and most people try to plant trees along or very close to the property lines. My neighbor planted a row of white pine trees only about 6feet inside the property line along MY southwest border and now the branches overhang that side of the yard, their roots steal all the water and nutrients I put in, and during the winter, the low sun never makes it above the trees.

I can' do anything about the higher branches and the treetops, but I finally got mad enough to start pruning all the branches I can reach with an extension pole pruner, and the trees look ridiculous seen from the street. :twisted:

I always consider the expected mature width of the tree and plant 1/2 diameter away from the property line. :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree with the others, too. In addition, I wouldn't even put a fence right on the property line.

I once really wanted to buy a particular house, but the fence between it and one of the neighboring houses was literally falling down ... to the extent that it was flat on the ground in places. I casually mentioned to the realtor that the first thing I would do would be to replace the fence, and she told me I couldn't. It had been built right on the property line and the neighbor wouldn't allow it to be touched, even though he wasn't the one who had built the fence. :(

This might vary, depending on the laws in your area, so you might want to check them before putting anything on or near the property line.

Another thing I learned about the laws in my city is that any structure, even a garden shed, has to be a minimum of 5 feet away from the property line.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”