colleen
Newly Registered

weeping pussy willow

I just got a small weeping pussy willow and am planning on planting it outside in a pot in summer. The card that came with it said to cut back all the flowering branches to 2" from stem. This seems extreme to me and will also look bad. I live in Vancouver, B.C. Also will this get leaves after the catkins are gone? Thanks for any info.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Colleen,

Some plants are healthiest if they have a hard pruning after each growing season. So, you plant should be fine if you follow the instructions. Be sure to prune your plant before spring arrives.

We have had a very mild winter and the sap may still be running. However, my advice is to prune the plant back now as per the instructions on the card.

Catkins are the reproctive structures of some plants, so loss of the catkins will have no effect on leaf production. What will happen if you cut them off is that the plant will not sexually reproduce which, is not a problem provided that you don't want to breed your plants.

So, not a problem.

Feel free to post any questions and by the way; Welcome to the Helpful Gardener! Are you going to attend a Seedy Saturday Event? In Victoria, ours is this coming Saturday.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Colleen,

If you click on the pictures here for Salix caprea ‘Kilmarnock’ - Kilmarnock Willow at the top, you will see pictures of your weeping pussy willow at different stages of growth.
https://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/3plants.htm#sacak

By pruning the way it was recommended you will have a fuller tree. You may only have to do that one time.

Newt

smilingheart7
Newly Registered

I just received one of these plants, too. Please forgive me, but I am not the best gardener in the world, so I do need help with this.

When the directions say cut 2" from stem, they mean cut off where the white fluffy buds are? And when should I do it? Late spring? Before I put it outside for the summer?

Thank you Colleen for your original post, as you can tell I have similar questions.

And thank you for your help!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Smiling Heart,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. I'm glad you posted this. In going back and reading my answer to Colleen I realized I forgot to post this site. It's best to do the pruning in winter.
https://www.slimwetwillows.co.uk/willow%20tree%20varieties%20-%20dwarf%20weeping.htm

Newt

smilingheart7
Newly Registered

Wow! Thank you so much for the link, Newt. Those instructions were very clear. I attempted a quick search about pruning after my last post, but my efforts were fruitless. (Yes, pun intended! :lol: )

monicastarr4
Newly Registered

Hi anyone who can help

My 4 year old brought what I'm told is a pussy willow home from school the other day. I don't usually keep plants or bother with gardens. But this is for my daughter and I think that it would be a good lesson on caring for any living thing and responsibility. Having said all that I know absolutly nothing about how to take care of it so that it dosen't die before it grows. It's current state is a little green "thing" in a little cup (about the size of a shot glass) and some soil. I've searched for hours and I found all kinds of info on how to take care of them once they are actually trees but nothing on how to get them that way. To be honest I didn't know that you could even grow them never mind from seeds. I appreciate any help.

Monica

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”