Molokai_Bernie

Be-Still Tree - Can it be kept as a 3 ft Hedge?

I'm interested in adding a low hedge of Be-Still tree along side of an existing taller (6-8 foot) hedge of Be-Still tree, here in Hawaii. This tropical tree or large shrub, Thevetia peruviana, is very vigorous in the area I am gardening. Though some books say it can become a tree 30 ' tall they also say it can be kept as an "informal hedge". I'd like to try and keep the new planting as small as 3 foot wide by 3 foot tall by clipping it regularly. My question is, will this work? Can I keep Be-Still that small, pretty much permanently? Would the trunk of the plant give me a problem by getting big and stocky and tree-like perhaps. Thanks for the advice.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I have no clue about the plant but anything can be kept small, bonsai, however the roots will continue to absorb moisture, unless you keep cutting back on their growth, bonsai again, so I would suggest something that grows up to the range you are thinking about instead of your original hedge. Eventually you will run into problems with two lines of plants competing against each other.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know this plant either, but it does make sense to me that rather than constantly fighting something that is always trying to outgrow the space, it would be a lot easier to grow something the appropriate size. Personally if I were making two hedgerows, shorter and taller, I would prefer the look of having some contrast, rather than having them both the same.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”