Molokai_Bernie

How to get a Dragon Tree to grow multiple heads?

I'm interested in learning how to trim a 10' tall Dracaena draco, the "Dragon Tree", so as to induce it to form a broad, multi-branched top with many "heads". I have seen a picture of one growing in a botanic garden in Sidney, Australia that was spectacular, with perhaps a hundred heads forming a wide, impressive tree. The plant I have, grown from a seed collected on Oahu, Hawaii is now growing of the Island of Molokai, out of doors. It's currently a straight, columnar plant 10' or more tall with a single head. My guess is that the plant should be completely topped (cut off) at about 6 feet and that this will induce the extensive branching I'm seeking. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Bernie Strehler, Molokai, Hawaii

Intriguedbybonsai

I have a Dracaena Marginata which is a similar species of yours. I've heard that you can cut knicks in the stems to stimulate new growth. I haven't tried that with mine yet. Try your idea of topping off the single head. Who knows, it might sprout new heads in time.

Try this website... https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/indoor/foliage/hgic1504.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you just cut the top off, it will re-grow from that point. You can plant the top in a different pot in moist potting soil and it should root and turn into a new plant. In the meantime the original stump may only grow one new head or I think most likely it will branch into two. Rarely it may make more than two branches. I have no idea what makes the difference whether it grows one new head or two branches that will each make new heads or more.

If it does as most typical and divide in to two https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/32643/

you could let them grow for a year or so then cut each of those. It will be a slow process, but eventually you would end up with the kind of multi-headed plant you are seeking.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”