jack76590
Newly Registered

Growth Rate of HICKS YEW HEDGE

I am being doing some relandscaping on a house I purchased about 6 years ago. There is a long hedge in back of yews. Some plants have red berries some do not. Anyhow I assumed hicks or hatfield yews or combination. Hedge was short at one end and I filled in with 5 hicks yew spaced 2.5 to 3 feet apart. Spacing varied because there was an apple tree about 2 feet from the extended hedge line and I had to work around tree roots. I planted the 5 new yews in the fall of 2004 and had the apple tree removed this last July. So there may have been some competition between yews and tree in the past. The yews were about 24" to 30" when planted in fall of 2004. They have been healthy looking from planting on to the present. Problem is they seem to be growing slowly, maybe a foot in two years. I really have not measured all that well.

My question is how much growth per year can I expect, esp now that plants are established and I have removed the apple tree nearby. Neighbors recently put in a rabbit pen at the property line so I am hoping for rapid growth for screening. Any information or experience appreciated. I live in SE Pennsylvania.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Jack,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. The growth you've seen on your Hicks yews sounds about right for the variety. Most yews grow slowly, with Hicks being one of the faster growing ones. You should find this interesting.
https://landscaping.about.com/od/evergreenshrubsbushes1/a/japanese_yews.htm

Newt

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”