DebraCO
Newly Registered

HELP!! with Rose of Sharon tree form

I planted a Rose of Sharon already established in tree form (about 4' tall) 2 springs ago and it did beautifully all the first summer. We wrapped the trunk and protected with frost blankets for the first winter and in the spring waited for our lovely little flowering tree to do it's thing. and waited. and waited. There was no sign of life until early August when green leaf shoots started springing up around the base and lower part of the trunk. At least it's alive, but the upper canopy branches are still completely bare and dead looking. Do we lop the top off and start from scratch cutting back the lowest shoots to achieve the tree form again? What the heck happened?! I can find all sorts of instructions on creating a tree form but there's nothing about this situation anywhere. I want my Rose of Sharon tree back. :(

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Good day Denver. Lived there for 11 years and miss it. Okay your "tree" was winter killed. Don't know where you bought it but they should have told you that it needed a sunnny and warm location. The only way you might get the "tree" survive Colorado winters is if you have a courtyard that is in the sun most of the day with the tree set against the foundation. Just like the clowns who push dogwoods out there. Go to Echters garden site and look at the plant zone and you know a normally cold winter will kill loads of plants. Rose of Sharon is Zone 5-9 and Denver supposdely is Zone 5 but not in an exposed windy location. Always prepare for the worst and as you know the tops down on convertables in January is a known.

DebraCO
Newly Registered

thanks! Got it at Paulino's - I've usually had really good luck with everything I've purchased there but I actually lost a rose bush of theirs a couple of years ago, too. Might have to start shopping at Echter's! Anyway, we have the Rose of Sharon in the back yard. It is kind of standing out in the open, but it's southern exposure and we actually had quite a mild winter last year. We protected it as I described, wrapping the trunk and wrapping frost blankets over the top yet still apparently ended up with winter kill. :(

I guess I'll move it and let it come up how it wants to come up and see what I end up with! It appears we need to rethink the ornamental tree situation now. *sigh*

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Sorry I know there are few flowering tree/shrubs like NC but you have potentilla which will not take in NC. Bring it closer to the house so the sun hits if off the house, in a corner if you have one that way the soil may not freeze as deep and water at least every 10 days if no snow.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”