rol7805
Newly Registered

Need help identifying tree

I'll probably need to come back with a picture but I've noticed a shorter ornamental style tree/shrub in the Dallas, TX area that I want to plant in my front flower beds at the corners of my house. I've tried several searches online and no luck! The tree seems to be kept (or only grows) shorter, about 10-15 foot with a roughly 6' diameter canopy. What makes it unique is a narrow, tall spiky purple bloom, probably 8-10" tall and only an inch or so wide.

Thought I'd check to see if anyone could identify it from that description, otherwise I'll have to stop when I see one (they're usually in landscaping in front of a shopping center) and take a picture.

I did crepe myrtles at my old house and love them (though I let them get WAY too tall!) but want to try something new this time. A lot of times I see a taller Yaupon (sp?) holly trimmed up as well to give height in the front flowerbeds.

This looks like a great site, looking forward to posting more here as I garden more in my larger yard. Just have to wait out the INSANE heat we've been having down here in Texas! :D

lorax
Greener Thumb

They sound like well-developed Liatris shrubs to me, but a photo does truly speak 1000 words in ID cases.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”