MrWilmNC
Newly Registered

Weeping Willow issues

Greetings everyone,

I have a question about my weeping willows. I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere. I did a quick search, and the topic turned up empty.

I have 2, 7 foot weeping willows and they appear to be dying. The tips of the leaves are turning yellow, appear to be eaten (caterpillars most likely), they have black spots on them, and I have seen these very tiny black bugs crawing up and down the trunk. Watering them is not an issue. They both get plenty of water and sunlight.

Does anyone have an idea of whats going on? Also how to get rid of the bugs? I am not an organic person, so pesticides are ok by me.

I understand pictures are worth a 1,000 words...however it is 8pm right now. I will attempt to post some tomorrow for a better explanation of my issue.

Once again, thank you for any and all assistance.

MrWilmNC

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I don't know what your problem is but it sounds as if your plant has air pockets because they will kill a plant faster then you can imagine or else they are in a windy location. You don't say long they have been planted so if it was recent tamp down the soil that you backfilled with the end of your shovel not with the heel of your foot. Never liked pesticides or insecticides but do a Google search for tent caterpillars and see what they suggest. I doubt they will kill the plant just make a mess.

MrWilmNC
Newly Registered

Thank you for all of those that sent me personal messages about my issue.

I put some fungus killer, along with some old milk I sprayed on the the trees. That seems to be working some, but don't know the long run yet.

As for the bugs, I put the suggested pesticide on and the bugs were gone the next day.

I'll keep you all posted on the lasting/long run effects. Thank you all again

MrWilmNC

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”