SandyJ

Do Tulip Poplar trees sucker?

Hi, I bought 2 Tulip poplar trees and am wanting to plant them fairly close to my lawn but I am worried about sucker shoots coming up in it. I read that the Tulip Poplar is not a Poplar at all but a member of the Magnolia family. Is this correct? Does that mean it wont sucker?

Thanks so much

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I had one for many, many years and it never suckered, nor did the seeds produce a lot of sprouts in my lawn. They also serve as good aphid traps. However, I couldn't sit under the tulip tree, because of all the ants constantly dropping down onto me. They farmed their aphids up in the treetop, which kept them off my other plants. :lol:

SandyJ

Awesome, I would rather deal with ants than suckers ( :shock: ) Thanks so much for the response. Have a great weekend!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The tulip tree that you and I are discussing is [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera]Liriodendron tulipifera[/url]. It is a member of the magnolia family. However, many people also call [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_liliiflora]Magnolia liliiflora[/url] by the name "tulip tree", which can be very confusing. That's why, if I must use a common name for it, I prefer to call Liriodendron tulipifera the "tulip poplar", even though it is not related to poplars in any way.

Even better, just use the scientific names for plants. That way, there will be no confusion. ;)

SandyJ

Very true. Thanks for the info...I shall remember that :D

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

A couple of things about tulip poplar. They are very weak trees so I wouldn't plant them too close to a one story house and two they set out a lot of seeds, hence seedlings poping up all over.

SandyJ

bullthistle wrote:A couple of things about tulip poplar. They are very weak trees so I wouldn't plant them too close to a one story house and two they set out a lot of seeds, hence seedlings poping up all over.
Yikes, I didnt know that. Thanks for the heads up, might have to reconsider my location of choice. hmmm :?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”