SandyJ

Something is not right with my new Japanese Maple, HELP

I planted this Japanese Maple this spring (Early June as we didn't really have a spring this year). Anyway, now it has these horrible white spots all over the bark and the leaves are turning brown on the ends and crumbling off. I will insert a few photo's of it for you to see what I am talking about. I sure hope it isn't something bad.

Thanks for your help

[img]https://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x329/SandyJ031667/IMG_92512.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x329/SandyJ031667/IMG_92522.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x329/SandyJ031667/IMG_92562.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How much sun is the tree in? Don't know about the bark issues, but the leaves are looking a little sunburned. Japanese maple doesn't like much direct sun. I have mine planted under a big lilac bush, where it gets hardly any direct sun and it is thriving.

SandyJ

It is getting too much sun then, cause it is in the direct sun for atleast 6 to 8 hours a day. The tag that came on it said full sun to partial shade. Now I am wondering if I should move it?

Do you think the bark problem might be some kind of blight?

Thanks again :D

bangstrom

In the desert SW, "full sun to partial sun" usually means SHADE.
The bark issues look like dying lichens and moss and these should go away with time but they are strong indicators that the tree was not locally grown. It probably came from some cool and overcast place like Oregon.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Now is the wrong time to try moving it, but you might try putting shade cloth over it, angled to filter the hot afternoon sun. In early fall, when things are cooling off, I would suggest moving it to a shadier spot. Morning only direct sun or filtered/ indirect light would be fine.

SandyJ

bangstrom wrote:In the desert SW, "full sun to partial sun" usually means SHADE.
The bark issues look like dying lichens and moss and these should go away with time but they are strong indicators that the tree was not locally grown. It probably came from some cool and overcast place like Oregon.
LOL, you are probably right on that one Bangstrom. No, it was purchased from Home Depot so it probably came from Ca or Or. Sadly in NV we don't have many nurseries. Where I live the only options we get are the ones that are brought in by the local lumber yard and I can tell you they have nothing of quality or size. The prices are outragious as well so I buy what I can when I go to Reno or other cities. It sure is a relief to know that it should go away. Thanks so much for the info. :D

SandyJ

rainbowgardener wrote:Now is the wrong time to try moving it, but you might try putting shade cloth over it, angled to filter the hot afternoon sun. In early fall, when things are cooling off, I would suggest moving it to a shadier spot. Morning only direct sun or filtered/ indirect light would be fine.
Thanks so much Rainbow....I will certainly try that and find a new home for him this fall. Have a great day!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”