eklawun

Baby Chaste Tree???

I just planted a Chaste Tree at the beginning of July and it seems to be settling in nicely. I dead headed it sometime last week (or the week before?) and seem to remember one of the little seeds getting away from me. Now there is a little plant under the tree that is about six inches high and has a strangely similar leaf (or maybe I'm imagining that). :? Could it be a baby tree? Would it just sprout from a seed so quickly and easily?

Or, of course, it could be a weed.... I would have no clue.

How can I find out?

bangstrom

I don't think a Chaste tree would sprout and grow that fast but baby Chaste trees look almost exactly like weed and one can easily tell them apart by the smell of a crushed leaf. Crush a leaf and see if it smells like the adult tree or if it smells like weed. You could be in trouble with the law if you think you are growing one but it turns out to be the other.

eklawun

Ha ha ha ha... :lol: I didn't mean weed; I meant **a** weed! :)

At first I thought you meant that it might be illegal to grow a chaste tree... And I am new enough to gardening that I was going to believe that :oops: .

I think I'll let it get a little bigger before I do the leaf-crush test. For now it is still just an itty-bitty little thing.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”