msalcido

Crepe Myrtles Not Blooming

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone can help me figure what is going on. I planted 5 crepe myrltes in March. It's now almost July and none of them are blooming. I am in East TX zone 7-8 and they all get full sun for at least 8 hours each day. I haven't fertilized with anything except the every now and then dose of SuperThrive.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If they are young trees, lots of young trees don't bloom the first year. Patience!

msalcido

they were 45 gallon container trees and I see the bloom casings from last season, which tells me they have bloomed in the past. Not sure how young they are, but I guess you are right, just need to sit and wait! :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wow! Not what I was picturing! Still could be a transplant effect.

twittel

Crape myrtle definitely march to their own timeline! The last 3 years, my crape bloomed every June, right on time. Now this year, only one bloomed and it just bloomed a couple weeks ago. The other two, are loaded with buds, but have yet to open. Assuming disease and insects are not the problem, have patience. One other thought, are squirrels eating the blossom buds? I think they love them.

msalcido

Hi Twittel and welcome to the forum!

After inspecting the trees this past weekend, I'm seeing a ton of new growth plus also some buds forming! Woot Woot! :wink:

The trees are actually planted at my lake house where I only have access to on the weekends, and they only get watered once a week. I don't think I was watering enough, so I started doing a deep watering for 15-20 minutes on each tree and ever since I started that -they are taking off!

I expect to have the blooms by end of month! Thanks again!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”