mjmontana
Newly Registered

help my italian stone pine

I've had an italian stone pine for about 4 years -- it was a Christmas gift, and I planted in my front lawn. I've heard it shouldn't get much water, but I live in Phoenix, az, where it's very hot and very dry. I'm concerned because the needle tips are a bit yellow and some of them are brown ... too little water? too much? Is it better to water right at the base of the tree, or to water the surrounding area as well? Advice is much appreciated!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

What I gather is the lower branches die off as the top grows its candles however since it comes from a warm climate I still think you should water at least once a week, a good deep watering and does not like an alkaline soil which is what you have. Make it more acidic.

mjmontana
Newly Registered

thank you! I'll try that.

Hortman

Hello mjmontana. Ken here in the Chicago area. Sorry to hear about your stone pine.
The yellowing and browning of the needles is the result of too much moisture. Basically,
the lawn wants water on a regular basis and the tree does not. You have two plants at
opposite ends of the water spectrum. If you take care of one, the other suffers.
The Italian Stone Pine is well adapted to your area and is very drought tolerant. If it is
not too large, I would transplant it to an area that doesn't get regular water and has
well drained soil. When you do water, which you can do occasionally, water out at the
drip line (the ends of the branches). That is where the roots are which take up water and
nutrients. Also, most pines don't need any fertilizer. I hope this helps. Take care.

mjmontana
Newly Registered

Thanks Ken, you've given me an idea -- I actually don't water the lawn, the tree has a drip line but it's right under the tree, not out by the ends of the branches ... I'm going to try moving the drip line further away. (My mom has an italian stone pine in her backyard -- she waters the lawn but not the tree, and hers is doing just fine.)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”