ajlachman
Newly Registered

new leaf loss on weeping cherry tree

Thank you all who helped me find out that my plant was an "elephant ear"
Now I can explore the possibilities of reviving its growth. It has gone "dormant" and lost most of its foliage. I transplanted it into a larger
pot thinking it might be root bound but it wasn't. I think I just over-watered it so I'm allowing the soil to dry somewhat and watching.

I also had a 3-4 ft weeping cherry tree planted in our front yard about
a month ago. I deep soaked the ground twice since it was planted and
pounded a tree fertilizer spike in at the perimeter of the tree-line about a week ago. I have noticed new growth leaves yellowing and dropping for the last two weaks! Older growth seems fine where predators haven't chewed the leaves. The tree doesn't appear to be infested with any
particular parasite or mold/fungus! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Abe :?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Could be a couple of things since someone else planted it. They could have damaged the ball while planting knocking the soil away from the roots and then not backfilling properly, which is more then likely the case, or else deep watering twice in 4 weeks. Newly planted tress should be watered twice weekly especially in hot sun.

ajlachman
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply on my weeping cherry tree!!
It's actually looking much better. I shall continue deep watering once or twice a week depending on rainfall! :D

Abe

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”