jneville81
Newly Registered

Help with Japanese maple please!

Hello, I signed up here because I need help with my slightly-awkward Japanese maple tree. Below are pictures of the tree from several angles so you can see what I have to work with. Now I ask you this, I know how many people feel about this, and some say never at all....but, can I prune my tree back to normal? It was given to my girlfriend and I as a house warming gift. Otherwise I would not pick out a tree this damaged....errr unshapely?

https://imgur.com/a/Hwvwe

As you can see the main trunk forks and one of the main forks is cut off. There are several vertical limbs and several limbs jutting out from the overall canopy/umbrella look that I understand the tree should have. So I ask for your help, as I fully admit that gardening is not my forte. Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to help.

Edit: If it helps the tree has been in the ground for about a month and is in full sun (store clerk said it was fine). It's healthy, just not the best looking tree you've ever seen.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Japan maple tend to take on a vase shape. beauty must be in the eye of the beholder. That looks like a pretty good tree to me.

This year I might not do anything till September.

You could if you are of a mind prune this to a single leader. In the fall.

Maples tend to bleed out with spring pruning.

Hortman

Hello jneville81. You have the start of a great Japanese maple. You are right; it is
a little unshapely. Let’s see if we can correct that.
I see that you have 4 pictures. In picture #3 you have all those shoots coming from the
base of the tree. Prune those off up to the fork of the trunk.
Next, in picture #2, you have the second main trunk on the right. It has been topped,
which sent all those side shoots out. Each one of those side shoots wants to be the
continuation of that trunk. Your job is to pick the most vigorous and best looking one and
prune all the other ones off. If it is not the top one, then prune the trunk down to just
above the side shoot you pick. This side shoot will become the continuation of that trunk.
Try this and see how you like it.
Japanese maples usually don't grow with single trunks and symmetrical tops. If you want
it to look that way, then you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Remember what 'tomc' said and don't prune until after summer is over. I hope this helps.
Good luck and take care.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”