djlen
Green Thumb

Rhododendrons Are Wilting

I planted 4 Rhody's about 2 weeks ago. They are even with the surface so not planted too deep. Maybe even a bit high but that should not be the issue.
They took off and looked good until today when I checked them and the new growth is wilting on two of them more than the other too but some signs of wilting on all.
I just gave them a good soaking right on top of where the root balls are with the hope that that would re-hydrate them.
During the initial time after planting the weather was normal here and the growth good. The last three days, here in Jersey it's been hot (90's) and today cooler but very windy. I'm guessing that they took a beating over the last few days without much watering from us but wanted to run this by you guys who know more about them than I, for sure. :)
Any feedback, especially if you think I'm going in the wrong direction, would be appreciated.
BTW........They came out of pots and were very tight when we planted them but we gave them lots of room in their new spaces.

Thanks for any help.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Water them well every day, and especially when it's hot and windy. The heat and wind cause them to lose more moisture than usual through the leaves.

djlen
Green Thumb

Thanks for that. It's been both hot and today windy. I'm thinking of giving them another drink tonight but am a bit gun shy because I don't want to get them too soaked before bed time.

applestar
Mod

I was going to say with the crazy summer weather we've been having (and we've just past Memorial Day!) that it probably needs deep watering, then got to the end ofyour post :wink:

With most new trees and shrubs, I use the guideline to: water deeply every day for a week (sometimes adjusting to every other day depending on drainage, etc. But you get the idea), every 3 days for a week (I.e. Twice during the week), every two weeks for a month, then once a month unless serious drought exists (like right now). Adjust with common sense if it rains, but don't get fooled into thinking a passing shower is enough.

My garden is wilting and I missed my odd-day sorinkler watering day yesterday, so I had to resort to shallow handheld hose watering today just to keep them alive....

applestar
Mod

Also did you plant it where it gets afternoon shade?

djlen
Green Thumb

Actually they are on the west side of the house, but they only get about 2 - 3
hours of direct sun and then are shaded by a huge tree for the rest of the afternoon. I planted azaleas in front of them because they will get more sun and can handle it, better than the Rhody's.

AN UPDATE: They are much improved already after only a few hours since I soaked them down. I gave them another touch of water in between the first application and now, and now I'll let them go over night and soak them down again in the morning.
I'm very happy that they have responded as they did. I will not let them go like this again, especially until they get some time to establish themselves.
I like your schedule applestar. And I know you can relate to the heat here in NJ. We, in south Jersey are not used to back to back days of 92º, 93º and yesterday 96º followed by today's winds and gusts of 40mph. Those temps are usually reserved for July. :(
But now I will be more observant.

djlen
Green Thumb

applestar.....what is your location in NJ?

applestar
Mod

Answered you in a PM. :wink:

djlen
Green Thumb

A further UPDATE:
The Rhody's are doing just fine this morning......no drooping or wilting and they look as good or better than ever.
I hope that my mindlessness with regard to my new plants will be a heads-up for any of you who may have new flowers/shrubs in this year. The Summer is only going to get hotter and it really does take a toll on the residents of our gardens. Especially the newly planted things that haven't had time to get established.
I also do Bonsai trees and had a similar issue, in the last couple of days, with a Crepe Myrtle in a shallow pot. Lesson learned................

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”