david8866
Newly Registered

Rose of Sharon (Althea), Baton Rogue, green in the winter?

A New Orleans' friend has the tri-color Rose of Sharon. He told me, the tree kept most of its leaves, until a hard freeze came (which it might not happen every year). The one I really want is Althea. Baton Rouge is 5 - 10 degree colder than New Orleans, I wonder..., will it keep its leaves in the winter? And, is it invasive?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I probably have 500 of them in my yard. I give them away all summer. They have a small root systen and pull out easy so they are no problem if you see new ones growing. They will loose their leaves upon a freeze. They bloom 3 monhs or more starting end of june here in pa. One of my favotes bushes! They make nice hedges!

david8866
Newly Registered

My bad. When I typed Althea, I was thinking about Ardens. I want to make a hedge. Two growers told me, plant them 2-3 feet apart, and..., "chop" them any way I want. As long as they are sterile "enough", I will go for it. How sterile is it? For example, I have some elephant ears, everyone tell me they are invasive - I dug up 5 - 6 new born every month during summer season, it is really not bad.
Temperature was 103 degree today. I think they can do well in such heat if I keep them moist. Should I wait until fall?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”