winniway

Help I think this giant Japanese maple is in trouble

Hi,
I'm learning how to do this so please excuse any mistakes. We moved into a house with a huge (I think for this type of tree) Japanese Maple about a year and 1/2 ago, so it is a new tree to us but I think is pretty old. It is probably 15 feet high and very wide (branches spread out). I took a bunch of pictures to explain - the bottom 2/3 of the tree looks normal, but the top ends of the branches are all bare - no leaves - so I'm worried that they are dead or what? I haven't known this tree long, but I don't remember ever noticing this about it. We had it lightly trimmed along with everything when we took over the yard over a year ago. The lower branches are actually green, is that normal. This is such a cool tree and I'm worried something is wrong with it and I have no idea what to do or even if I can do something? I don't know how to post pictures yet, but will do so as soon as I can figure it out. Thanks for any ideas!
[img]https://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x371/winniway/DeadEndsatthetop.jpg[/img]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Except for redwoods most trees get old and die, just like humans. I'd say trim back the deadwood and call an arborist and have them come look. If you see holes in the stem could be a type of borer and the tree is just weak. When you call ask how much they charge for an opinion or call cooperate extension. More then likely it may eventually have to be replaced.

winniway

Thanks, I'll trim off the dead tops -would you recommend buying one of those tools that is like a telescoping pole with a saw on the end?

I was thinking that the tree seems kind of old....it must be.... so I was thinking it could be on it's way out :( but I hope not, we just got to enjoy it. But I did want to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong to it or if there was something I could do to change it if it had a disease or something - so I'll try to get an expert to come and look - especially we'll look for the "boring" possibility.

Last question- we have had crazy high winds that have lasted much longer than the area usually has- months longer of windiness - could that dry out the branches (and make them die). I just thought of this when someone told me we usually don't have such bad winds as this year. :?:

Thank you for answering me, I appreciate it!!!!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Could be a combination of cold and wind and soil. Something changed but more then likely it will need replacement and do not put too much in to save it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”