iast8

ID my baby pine tree?!

I got this pine tree about a year and a half ago as just one "branch" on earth day. This is how far its come, but I don't remember what kind of pine it is!!

Any thoughts?

:D

[img]https://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af68/arhall7/Garden%2011/IMG_1007.jpg[/img]

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Spruce of some kind. Maybe white, black, or blue.

Its not an Alberta or Glehnnii.

If I was training it as bonsai I'd ditch the soil and use a much faster draining soil with more inert sand or crushed gantite.

Garden soil, potting soil, even peat, hold too much water and not enough air for trees.

iast8

I didn't know you could even train regular pine trees! How do you do that?

Didin't realize about the sandy soil, and of course I just repotted it yesterday haha. Is there a "premix" I can buy for this?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

iast8 wrote:I didn't know you could even train regular pine trees! How do you do that?

Didin't realize about the sandy soil, and of course I just repotted it yesterday haha. Is there a "premix" I can buy for this?
Big box stores sell cactus mix, which is a fair aproximation of bonsai soil.

Your "pine", is still a "spruce" tree.

There are good forums here about tray-training trees. Your local libary will also have books on bonsai training woody plants.

Your spruce should also go out of doors.

iast8

Haha spruce it is, I didn't mean to put pine again

:oops:

Thanks, I was wondering about the cactus mix.

It is outdoors currently, except when it storms. Its very little, and I don't want it to break or anything in the stormy weather.
Hopefully by the time it gets too big for a pot I will have someplace nice to plant it!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”