dcurry1223
Newly Registered

What may be causing the pontinella goldfinger to struggle?

We helped plant a couple pontinella goldfingers for a friend along her house, in full sun. The soil while not tested seemed to have a lot of sand. It seemed to drain properly and is a mulched bed. We have had a lot of rain lately. Our friend travels and she claimed that she did water the shrubs when home as they are getting established. I know they don't need too be overwatered. We had a few really hot days in between several rain days. When we went by the other day, the bushes looked dead. I don't know if they are in shock, underwatered, something is going on with the soil. Any idea regarding care, how to troubleshoot this, and how to check if they are dead? I read somewhere abou scraping the bark to see if there is green underneath.

I thought these were fairly hearty shrubs. We have a few in full sun and recently planted them without issue. Thanks in advance!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Don't have a clue what zone you are in however the problem with plants dying upwards a year after planting is that the soil was not packed tight after planting. Air pockets kill more plants then lack of watering. Once that happens kiss good bye to the plants.

dcurry1223
Newly Registered

Thanks

I appreciate the insight. We are in zone 5.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

In Zone 5 you shouldn't have any problem growing potentilla, and watering twice a week is sufficient but if I were you, and it could be too late, is tamp down the soil with the end of the shovel.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”