billcalley
Newly Registered

Blight/disease on shrubbery (PICTURES)

Hi All,

I know little about foliage, but some strange blight/disease is killing all of my home's hedges.

The blight is comprised of tiny, white rod-like growths that cover the plant's leaves and branches, killing it.

Any ideas what it may be from the enclosed photos? Any way to turn this situation around, or are my shrubs terminal?

Thanks!

-Bill

[img]https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/DROOPY11/SHRUBS/BLIGHT1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/DROOPY11/SHRUBS/BLIGHT2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/DROOPY11/SHRUBS/BLIGHT3.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Wow! :shock:

What I'm seeing is an extremely severe insect infestation. I don't recognize the pest though the whiteness reminds me of whiteflies but the shape seems wrong. Do they fly up when you disturb them?

Are the hedges euonymus? They are prone to scale insect infestation, so maybe this is a kind of mealybugs, their cousin? Neither will move.

If the bumpiness of the branches in the last photo ARE scale insects, I'm at a loss as to what to do or if the shrubs can be saved. A cotton swab soaked with rubbing alcohol will get them off, if they are. (Obviously for ID purpose only, not suggesting you cotton swab the entire bush :wink:)

Hope someone else is more familiar with these pests.

In either case, they excrete sticky sweet residue that attracts ants, and invites black mold, so steps need to be taken. Personally, I would start with insecticidal soap in a hose-end hedge and tree sprayer. I don't like to use chemicals-- especially on such large area even if they are ornamentals, but I'm sure this will need to be addressed right away.

billcalley
Newly Registered

Thanks Applestar, you hit the nail on the head! I just bought both Volck and parafinic oil sprays, and if one doesn't work (over the course of a month), I'll switch to the other.

I'm hoping that one of them will take care of the deadly Japanese Euonymus insect scale!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Looks very much like Mussel Scale.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I think that to have to wait for as long as a month will be far too long.
If they do not start to shift quite quickly with the oil or Meth then you may have to resort to a more severe form of treatment.
I'm afraid that soap sprays will not work on these little devils...they are far to well protected by the waxy exudence they produce for the soap to penetrate.
If all else fails then it will have to be a spray of something like Pyrethroid.
Something containing Deltamethrin will do the job.
Use it in a small hand sprayer then you need only spray the infected area without doing too much damage to any ' goodies ' in the surrounding area.

applestar
Mod

JONA's right about soap spray not working on scales. I was suggesting it as a way to forestall the deterioration of the shrubs from the mold growth. Also, the soap spray does help somewhat with juveniles that haven't developed the harder waxy coating.

Good luck getting rid of them. Scales are the worst! I AM in fact tediously cotton swabbing a small container Myerii lemon tree right now, but it's slowly losing leaves. It has started some new spring growth, so hopefully, it's on the mend....

billcalley
Newly Registered

Thanks Jona and Applestar; I also now just ordered Deltamethrin powder and a powder sprayer.

My (somewhat evil) plan is to first spray one of the liquid oils on all of the leaves and stems, and then powder the plants as well. (It appears from what I have read that there is no such thing as going overboard when it comes to insect scale!).

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”