djlen
Green Thumb

New Azaleas and Also a Rosebud Azalea

Just bought my wife a few Azaleas for Mother's Day and we will be planting them after the flowers fade. I'm looking for some tips on planting them to give them a good start. I pulled some terrible looking Junipers out of the space into which we will be planting them.
I anticipate problems with the roots from the Juniper when planting. Do I need to remove them. There is room for the new Azaleas in between the Juniper stumps.
Any tips would be appreciated, especially since one of them is a Rosebud Azalea. We have not killed any that we've planted but Azaleas are not our strong point, you might say. :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Normally plants that are forced are not good candidates for transplanting in the ground but since they were azaleas in which their blooms were delayed they may work out okay. They should be planted on the north or west side and if the juipers didn't do well, although I don't know the history the azaleas might be okay. You can try to squeeze the azaleas in between the roots but then you could have problems, people who use a shoehorn when planting find out that is was a mistake. The soil isn't probably the greatest so you will have to amend with manure or compost. Just make certain there are no airholes when you backfill.

djlen
Green Thumb

Not sure what you mean by "forced". I got them from the local nursery and they all bloom at this time in this area.
They will be on the west side of the house under dappled light. The Junipers that they replace where doing fine. Just really ugly. They were here when we bought the house and I never did like them.
I will work in some decent soil/compost mixed with topsoil and hopefully they will do OK in that location.
Thoughts?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Can you maneuver a pickup truck near enough to pull out the stumps and roots? That's what I did when I removed my old juniper. It came out pretty easily, leaving only a couple of roots that I used an ax to remove.

The azalea should do fine there, even if deeper roots remain. They're quite shallow-rooted.

Azaleas are often forced to bloom right around Mother's Day. Those are the ones usually found in florists shops and grocery stores, intended to be gifts. They can survive when planted outdoors, but they often don't perform very well for the first 2 or 3 years, and they need some babying to get over the forcing.

Since you bought yours at a regular plant nursery, they're probably ordinary outdoor azaleas. :)

I don't know where you're located. Make sure the soil is acidic for the azaleas, as they won't do at all well without that. Azaleas can take more sun than rhodies. I have had them grow very well in places where they received full sun from dawn until about 2 or 3 p.m. Being shallow-rooted, they aren't all that hard to transplant, if you decide you want to move them later on. They'll need daily watering for the first few weeks, so the roots can get established. They'll need regular watering through the summer, and into the fall. If the ground freezes where you live, it's a good idea to water them well before a freeze, because the roots can't absorb water from frozen soil. :)

djlen
Green Thumb

Thank you all so much for the feedback. It has been very helpful and informative and given me some ideas on how to proceed with this.
I'm going to dig out the roots as best I can and work in some top soil and compost before planting. I don't think I could pull them out with the vehicles I've got, LOL.
Thanks again.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”