wats7park
Newly Registered

Mature pin oak not leafing

I live in NJ, across from Philadelphia, Pa and have a 20 year-old, 25' tall pin oak that until this spring was fine.....now it is May 3rd and it has yet to leaf....buds on branches and I cut off a lower limb and it appears to be not dead....I also have a 40 year-old dogwood that was fine until this spring...it too only bloomed about 15% and appears to be dying...can't figure out what gives? Any help would be appreciated...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What kind of year did you have last year?

Last year here we had horrible drought all summer and into fall. That is the season when lots of things are setting their buds for this year. I can really see the difference, even though we are having tons of rain now.

Lilac only bloomed about half as much as usual. Panicle dogwood which had been stressed by a huge infestation of 17 yr cicadas a few years ago, is now half dead. Weigela has a lot of dead spots. Redbud didn't bloom as much as usual. Not sure about the hydrangea yet.

The rain now doesn't do anything about the buds it didn't make last year.

But the oak tree may just have been slowed down. My oak tree last year took forever to leaf out, I was really worried about it. But it was ok. This year with all the rain, it leafed out sooner.

wats7park
Newly Registered

Quaker....Thanks for the input...it was a very hot and dry summer last year.....record number of days in the 90"s...insignigicant rainfall...I will keep fingers crossed and hope for the best...

florumflowers
Newly Registered

I am having the same trouble with my mature Pin Oak. I also live in NJ right over the bridge from PA. I have a mature Pin Oak in a walled in picnic area. It is not leafing out well and I never had a problem with this tree before. My other pin oaks on the property are doing well. I am hoping it was an issue with water and not some insect attack! Next step is the Extension office and then a tree service to come out and check on it. Just find it funny that someone that also lives right over the bridge from PA is having the same problem.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”