Evil Scotsman

INSANE??? Bamboo???? Would it work???

I was just watching a video on youtube about growing grass, just plain old lawn. At the end of the video they mentioned bamboo can grow as fast as 4' a day?! I was wondering in Zone 7 would it be possible to grow bamboo as a privacy across the front of the yard. I know they don't branch out very much and I would need ALOT. But just thinking outside the box??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

4' a day sounds a bit much to believe, but bamboo is very fast growing and gets tall. It will make a good privacy screen. The BUT is that it is also very fast spreading, invasive and will take over your whole yard faster than you can believe. And then it is very difficult to eradicate.

If you decide to plant some, define a bed with a very deep root barrier to keep the roots from spreading all over.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I saw a TV show that said some types of bamboo grows about 4" a day under perfect conditions.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Bamboo planted without a deep ditch or other soil barrier, can (and will) spread almost as fast as it grows tall.

Planting bamboo without a soil barrier is a philadelphia ambulance chaser, er lawyers delight.

Bigger bamboos can grow to fourty feet tall...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That sounds more believable!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”