Roserys

Help for a Gardening Ignoramus

I live in a block of flats - they are only 2 storeys high in total (anotherwords the height of an average house). The sun beats in all day and our window covers most of the sitting room wall - my neighbour above has agreed that I can plant a small tree to try and partially shade both of us - it cannot be too big as we don't want to go to the opposite extreme and shade ourselves completely. We don't want it to be too wide for the same reason - as at the moment our frontage is plain grass with a severe plain privet-type hedge I was hoping to plant something possibly floral/decorative?

Having said all that, we need something which will not require too much maintenance and be relatively simple. I like things such as crabapple - would that be a good idea? Funds are very limited so advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

A crab would be fine, at least the dwarf kind. See if you can find a seedling, that would be the cheapest route.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Crab apples may fit your size requirement. They tend to be wider than they grow tall, so some pruning is going to be in order in later years.

I dunno of a single tree that doesn't need a little loving up with a saw or nippers.

Crab will make up for any pruning jobs with blossoms.

Roserys

That's brilliant. Thank you both. I rather thought it would be a pretty tree. Thing is, does it have deep or spreading roots? I should have asked in the first place but someone suggested that to me after I had written! :oops:

Roserys

Thank you so much Marlin, not just for the information but for the kindness. I wish you flourishing trees and much happiness from same :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am going to inject something, not because I know much about landscape trees but because I came across this:

[url=https://www.winchester.gov.uk/Documents/Trees/treespecies.pdf]Trees and shrubs in Hampshire[/url], from the Winchester City Council

Roserys, you may have your heart set on a crabapple and that is fine. There are also other decorative, small trees. The dogwoods are just beginning to bloom here and, I believe that there are varieties suitable to many, many locations. It may be tall enough for your purposes. Another of about that height is the Serviceberry.

A Rowan (Mountain Ash) might be a good choice. And, the Japanese Cherries are just beautiful. In fact, there are many of that genus (Prunus) that are wonderfully decorative.

One thing that you would very much benefit from knowing is your soil type. Your soil might limit your choices but the guide from Winchester may be of real help to you there. And, if you have questions about other choices, be sure to ask the folks here.

Steve

Roserys

Thank you, Steve, I was wondering if I should get one of these soil-testing kits, I shall look up the Hampshire website and ponder..

Its a shame this site is just for gardening!! :flower:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”