Evil Scotsman

Bush Id? Please

[img]https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/evilscotsman1991/IMAG0167.jpg[/img] [img]https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/evilscotsman1991/IMAG0168.jpg[/img]

I am NOT going to even try to take a guess. The first bush (left of the yellow flower bush) is some type of evergreen, no flowers, then of course there is the yellow bush? (Golden rod????) But right now it ONLY has flowers on the bottom half! Does that mean it is dead or dying? And the signle plant/bush, I call the ugly purple flower bush??? Not pictured is a beautiful (half) red azeala. Last year it was beautiful, this year ONLY half of it is starting to bloom the other half looks dead. (brown sticks)

Thank You Again

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

The one on the right by itself is a rhododendron. I have no clue what the others are. Need a close up photo of the leaves.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Can't really zoom in too well on your pics, but the pic on the left has what appears to be a forsythia, leftmost, and possibly some sort of evergreen like a privet/ligustrum to the right. The second pic is that of a rhododendron that has seen better days.

I'm guessing you don't really look in your yard all that often. The forsythia, if that's what it is, would have been covered with the yellow blossoms before leafing out. It's ubiquitous in early spring in your area. Especially in older housing developments.

The rhododendron needs an acid soil, something you probably already have, but it could use more compost or manure or something to both enrich the soil and retain more moisture. I've never heard anyone refer to it as an "ugly purple flower bush." It was probably the queen of your yard when the original gardener grew it, and envied by passersby. I miss them. Florida is too warm for them.

The half dead azalea most likely had some damage to the brown or dead limbs. A basketball, wayward pet, running into it with a lawnmower, etc. If you nurture it with water, and similar requirements for the rhododendron, it will come back. Your blooms are probably toast for this year though. Maybe not. Don't prune until all the local azaleas have stopped blossoming, then take off the dead wood and shape it up. If you do it too late in the spring/summer, you will not have flowers on it next year.

Evil Scotsman

thanrose wrote:Can't really zoom in too well on your pics, but the pic on the left has what appears to be a forsythia, leftmost, and possibly some sort of evergreen like a privet/ligustrum to the right. The second pic is that of a rhododendron that has seen better days.

I'm guessing you don't really look in your yard all that often. The forsythia, if that's what it is, would have been covered with the yellow blossoms before leafing out. It's ubiquitous in early spring in your area. Especially in older housing developments.

The rhododendron needs an acid soil, something you probably already have, but it could use more compost or manure or something to both enrich the soil and retain more moisture. I've never heard anyone refer to it as an "ugly purple flower bush." It was probably the queen of your yard when the original gardener grew it, and envied by passersby. I miss them. Florida is too warm for them.

The half dead azalea most likely had some damage to the brown or dead limbs. A basketball, wayward pet, running into it with a lawnmower, etc. If you nurture it with water, and similar requirements for the rhododendron, it will come back. Your blooms are probably toast for this year though. Maybe not. Don't prune until all the local azaleas have stopped blossoming, then take off the dead wood and shape it up. If you do it too late in the spring/summer, you will not have flowers on it next year.
Not that I don't look in my yard that often! LOL My wife just inherited this house and yard from her great Uncle who was 75 and didn't do ANY yard work for YEARS! But he did feed the birds, squirrels, etc EVERY Day without fail! The azalea was fine last year??? Looked beautiful, and since nobody is living in the house yet don't know what happened? But very well could have been a stray soccer ball from my grandsons! That would fit! Thanks

Evil Scotsman

Thank You all, as requested I have close up pictures of the bushes that I don't know what they are. THANK YOU

[img]https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/evilscotsman1991/IMAG0169.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/evilscotsman1991/IMAG0170.jpg[/img]

[/img]

This last pic is the orig taken at a distance if it helps

[img]https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/evilscotsman1991/IMAG0167.jpg[/img]

MarieJeanne
Newly Registered

The pictures really helped me, thanks! The evergreen looks to me like a relative of hemlock, I don't know the formal names. If the needles are soft, then check out the hemlock family. The yellow 'buds' may be flowers, but look like new growth that has had too much water and not enough sun this spring (No Kidding!) :roll:

The hemlocks I remember needed protection from extreme hot and cold weather. We trimmed them in the fall, around the first frost. The male bushes have a very subtle flower, easy to miss. The females have bright red berries in the summer and fall which are extremely toxic! (Hemlock!) Hope this helps.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”