Evil Scotsman

Tree Bush ID? Thanks

[img]https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/evilscotsman1991/IMAG0162.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/evilscotsman1991/IMAG0163.jpg[/img]

A tree in out new front yard. The area is about 5 x 12. I have no idea what kind of tree this is, can anyone help? Cherry blossom???? Is it possible to prune this without killing it? It has some very tangled branches and is over hanging the walkway to the house and out into the sidewalk?

THANK YOU[/img]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It is a pink dogwood.

Evil Scotsman

bullthistle wrote:It is a pink dogwood.
Thank You! That is one of the trees I was looking to put in the yard and didn't even realize I had one in the front yard!!! Told ya I was below a newbie!!

:oops:

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Dogwood. Some are white, some are pink. Looks massive! They will take to pruning, just do it soon, and don't shear it back to the trunk. You might selectively take out some limbs back to the trunk, but mostly you want to do a moderate pruning. Most people never prune them simply because they usually have a good shape and are desirable small trees.

Evil Scotsman

thanrose wrote:Dogwood. Some are white, some are pink. Looks massive! They will take to pruning, just do it soon, and don't shear it back to the trunk. You might selectively take out some limbs back to the trunk, but mostly you want to do a moderate pruning. Most people never prune them simply because they usually have a good shape and are desirable small trees.
It IS MASSIVE!! My wife grew up climbing in that tree and doesn't want cut any of it. (she wants my grandsons to be able to climb the tree) But I think it NEEDS to be trimmed. It is up against the house and out over the sidewalk.(public)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”