opp2

How do I Care for a Juniper in Winter?

need to be wrapped for the winter months, or just have a rope tied around it, or nothing?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not sure where you are from or what your climate is like but, Juniper are trees that are built for temperature extremes in the heat and the cold. So, generally speaking you don't need to do much for winter.

Perhaps, you could provide them with some organic mulch like mulched up maple, apple, beech or oak leaves but, this is not totally necessary. If you add another layer of grass clippings, manure, coffee grinds and the like; by the spring the plants will have lovely topsoil.

(this would protect the roots from winter temperature extremes and provide the soil with added Macro/Micro nutrients.)

Janet W

I like to wrap or tie young Junipers that have an upward branching habit that are of the scaled needle types. The branches are less stiff and they tend to bend from the weight of snow cover. You can use burlap and twine or you can just use the twine. Don't tie too tight to avoid the possibility of the twine cutting into the softwood that has yet to harden off completely. Janet

GreenBayMike

Most research I have done regarding Junipers (or most evergreens) says you should water them right up to the first "permanent" freeze of winter. Where I live (Green Bay, WI), we have "Indian Summer" every year, which is about 1 week of very warm weather after the first cold spell of winter. During this period, I will water all of my evergreens (mostly junipers and a couple boxwoods and 2 azaleas) very thoroughly.

You may have heard of 'winter burn'. This typically affects the southern exposed side of Junipers and what it really is, is a sunburn and drying out of the exposed Southern side. It results in browning or fading of the South side of the plant, and can severely damage them. Winter burn also results from the brisk, cold winds in winter which dry out the foliage. The best way to prevent winter burn is to ensure they are watered as much as possible right before the permanent freeze.

Additionally, you may want to shade them on the south side by making a wind break/sun shade. I use some landscape fabric doubled up, and staple it to three stakes which I drive into the ground to create a small v-shaped shelter on the South side of the plant.

All of my evergreens on the North side of the house are protected from the bright Southern sun by the house, so I don't shelter them at all.

Don't forget, even though they are called "evergreens", your junipers will still lose up to 30% of their needles in fall/winter. This is normal.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”