shammer
Newly Registered

Midwinter Fire Red Twig Dogwood

Hello there! Has anyone had growing experience with this particular Dogwood? I am giving it heavy consideration for a partial shade border in my back yard. It seems to fit the bill in every way. My main question is, since it is recommended to cut back to 1 foot each March for the most intense winter color, I wonder how quickly it grows back. Supposedly it grows 6-10 feet tall. But is that only if one doesn't cut it back each year? This will be used in an area where we would like privacy so that might be the only drawback. Thank you for any help you can provide!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have a red twig dogwood, not that particular variety. I don't cut it back like that, but each spring, I do cut out a few of the oldest stems, that are starting to turn brown instead of red; I just cut them down to the ground. That encourages the plant to keep sending up new young shoots, which are the most brilliantly colored. But it also allows the shrub to get taller. And it allows it to flower. It flowers on older wood. If you cut it down every spring, it will never flower. By saving some of the older stems, I allow it to flower. I love it. The red stems against the winter snow are gorgeous.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”