BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Willow Tree with white bark?

There is a tree I saw the other day and it looked like a willow tree how the branches hang down but it had white bark... It also has these little long thin soft pine cone looking things that were on the ground under it. Just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

To the best of my knowledge, willows don't produce cones of any kind. Could the cones you saw have come from another source?

Although there is a tree called a white willow, the name describes the leaves, not the bark.

The white-barked trees I'm familiar with are the birches and alders, but I don't think they produce cones, either. European Weeping Birch is a popular tree in some areas. Might that be the one you saw?

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

hmmm yes Kisal!! Yes I do believe you figured it out! I think you hit it right on the head when you guessed that it could possibly be European Weeping Birch ... I am pretty sure thats what it is now I just have to research it a tad bit more. THANKYOU!!

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Yay! You were Correct Kisal! THANKYOU!! here is a link that shows exactly what I was talking about with the cone looking fruit things lol [url]https://cnre.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=15[/url]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

oh, excellent photos at that link! :)

I tried to find a photo like that, but had to move on to other business, before I located one.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”