Hmoske

transplanting older trees - advice needed!

We ran into a huge sale on Maple trees for only $10 a piece! We got two, but the bad news is, they're probably around 5 years old...the base of the trunk is around 6 inches and they're about 20 ft. tall....in 30 gallon tubs...this is close to tree abuse! Anyway, I've heard that you are supposed to cut the roots before transplanting a tree of this size...I've never bought a tree this big to transplant, but the price was so good and the trees are beautiful I couldn't pass it up...
Any advice from those that have done this? I'd like to get them in the ground as soon as possible so any advice would help.
Thanks in advance.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

IF you don't get an answer that helps here, try going to UBC [url]https://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/index.php[/url] or Univ. British Columbia's forum on botany. There is a very active subforum on maples in particular, and quite a few experts from around the world on various aspects of tree management.

Good luck.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Cut the roots and the trees will die guaranteed. It is not abuse they sell trees with 12" diameter all the time. Cut the top back 1/3 and prune away all crossing branches, double branches and branches that cross inwards. Leave the roots alone but of course remove the wire basket if it has one and cut away the container not chop it because you do not want to disturb the roots. If you are planting in a windy location stake the tree. And water at least twice a week.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”