schwimmair
Newly Registered

Forsythia Bush (I think) ?

Hi, our builder planted two Forsythia bushes on each corner of our house and they are growing like weeds. We would like to transplant them to our back yard, and from what I have read they are very hearty and should survive a transplant.

My concern though is that they are just budding and if I should wait until a different time to transplant.

My second concern is that I have misidentified the type and it isn't a Forsythia bush.

If you click in my photobucket I have included a pic of the Forsythia bush.

https://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww259/schwimmair/

Thanks so much,

Adam

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't tell if your shrub is a forsythia or not. Forsythias produce their yellow flowers before they get their leaves in spring. The shrub in your picture looks like it's getting leaves. Has it already bloomed this year?

schwimmair
Newly Registered

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have 2 of these types of bushes. One of them is budding now (not pictured) and the one (pictured) kept half of its leaves during the winter and is budding the rest.

We went ahead and dug them out and transplanted them in our backyard this afternoon. The larger of the 2 had a root the diameter of my arm. I tried to dig out as much of the root ball as possible but some of the roots seem to go on for 5-10 feet. We have watered them twice and will continue to water them twice daily. Not sure if they will survive or not but we will give them every opportunity.

Thanks,

Adam

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well you were right when they are budding is not the best time. Early spring or fall would be best time. But they should survive no problem. You just may have disrupted their flowering for this year.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

From what I could tell it is not a forsythia because it flowers before leafing and it is not a semi-evergreen not even in GA. Generally builders plant the cheapest plants they can find so it could be either a privet, spirea, wiegelia but I am not certain because the plant is too far away.

schwimmair
Newly Registered

Hi, I will get a close up pic soon, I am very interested to see what type of bush, shrub this is.

Thanks,

Schwimm

schwimmair
Newly Registered

Hi, sorry it took so long to get some close up pics, I took 2 close up pics of the 2 shrubs.

[img]https://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww259/schwimmair/Shrub2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww259/schwimmair/Shrub1.jpg[/img]

Thanks again for the help,

Schwimm

Pineville

Looks like a Salix/Variegated Pussy Willow

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”