keskat

Topped Tree = Sad. Advice?

So, this is the tree in my front yard - I don't know what it is - its very leafy and lovely in the springtime, but the infrastructure is... Dismal. Any advice as to how I can go about improving it? Preferably without the aid of an arborist, as I'm only renting and don't wish to spend bucketloads of cash?

Visuals:
[img]https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/santashh/Garden%20Mystery/tree01.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/santashh/Garden%20Mystery/tree02.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/santashh/Garden%20Mystery/tree03.jpg[/img]

Thanks!

alaskagold

Okay dumb question. Why is it called a water sprout?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The only thing I would add to the previous post is to cut out branches which are growing toward and up through the interior of the tree. Open up the inside, and get rid of all of the wild vertical branches and the tree should look much improved.

keskat

I've been taking my pruning shears to the suckers within reach - which, unfortunately, has been quite a few. It looks like the only part of the tree not topped was... The top. :? I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was, but it appears that someone just took a chainsaw to every branch they could access, and hacked them off about midway through.

So, oky. Major tree surgery required. I can do that - but when? Is now the right time, or should I wait? How much should I remove at once? Is it more important to clear out the middle, or to remove the exterior branches first, then get to the interior as I can? And should I seal off the places I've had to amputate? Fertilize or otherwise baby this poor tree? I anticipate being here a long time, but honestly, even if I weren't... This poor tree just NEEDS help. I don't really want to sacrifice all that lovely foliage (and shade) in the spring/summer/fall, but I want to do this the right way for future tree-enjoyment.

In your opinion (and by 'your', I pretty much mean anyone with any tree experience at all :lol: ), is this a project I can reasonably handle without involving professionals, or should I just suck it up and call them?

Thanks so much for your input so far!

keskat

Meh. :lol: I'll have to find a certified arborist, then. Its really quite a tall tree - which, I suspect, is what spared the upper reaches from the amateur landscaper. I'll just get the ones I can reach safely and then have the pros finish it up for me.

Thanks so much for all your advice!

alaskagold

Marlingardener wrote: Alaskagold, that's not a dumb question. Here's the dumb answer: I don't know why they are called "water sprouts". When we were taking our Master Naturalist course, the arborist that was teaching the tree care section referred to them as such, and I was too busy taking notes to ask him. Darn!
:) well I had to try to find out. We do not have real apple trees or orchard type. Crab apples aren't trees many like to eat from. But it doesn't mean I can't try.

Thanks for the reply! I am learning quite a bit from everyone on here.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

keskat wrote:Meh. :lol: I'll have to find a certified arborist, then. Its really quite a tall tree - which, I suspect, is what spared the upper reaches from the amateur landscaper. I'll just get the ones I can reach safely and then have the pros finish it up for me.

Thanks so much for all your advice!
In for a penny, in for a pound.

If you're going to call in the arborist, have him (her?) do the whole job. That way, the tree will have a unified look. I've had an arborist helping my juniper for a couple of years now. He started the project in 2007, came back in 2009, and should finish it this year in December so that DH and I can maintain it by ourselves. If we had pruned what we could and then called him in, we would've had a mess; Rich T has found a shape in the juniper that we didn't even know was there!

It's also possible to call an arborist in as a consultant to give you advice on how to proceed. But since this isn't your own property, I'd recommend calling the landlord and asking him to spring for the money.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

keskat

Cynthia_h - if you don't mind my asking, has it been an expensive process with the arborist? I realize rates will vary, just generally speaking.

I think I'll pass on calling the landlord, though. :roll: He lived here before I started renting and would probably just come back out with a chainsaw and duplicate the last sorry hackjob.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The juniper (Juniperus chinensis "Torulosa" aka "Kaizuka") is approx. 10 feet tall. There are 11 steps up to our front porch, and the juniper comes up to the top of the porch railing. It's maybe 8 feet wide and the same deep.

Rich T. charged us $150 the first year (2007) and $150 the second year (2009), to prune the juniper. He also gave us his prof. opinion on the health of our redwood in 2007 (uh-oh; we're a season behind on that--I've kept up a three-year schedule on the redwood since we moved here in 1997), so there was an additional fee for that. Not too bad, though; I can't remember exactly how much.

Cynthia

keskat

Thanks for being so forthcoming. :) That's actually more reasonable than I was expecting. I hope the professionals in my area are along the same lines. Here's hoping I can find someone semi-local to help my tree! :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”