biwa

How to buy a healthy beech tree online?

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I can't find a good, trustworthy nursery who sells beech trees. I tried to buy a beech tree online from 2 different websites. The first website sent me a tree that wasn't super healthy and it died. The second website sent me an oak tree by mistake.

I am looking for a beech tree of the species that is native to northeast USA (American Beech?). A hybrid of this species would also be acceptable, since such a hybrid would likely be resistant to whatever disease has been killing all the normal ones.

applestar
Mod

Wow, somehow I would've thought a beech tree should be purchased field grown and B&B, and I think I would look for one at a local landscaping nursery.... Though it stands to reason that you should be able to get such a tree shipped to you (by freight?).

Have you considered contacting area arboretums, native plant nurseries, and/or native plant societies and seeing if they would have a native beech tree at their Spring Native Plant Sale?

Sorry this doesn't exactly answer your question.....

ETA If you look in the Native Plants forum there are two threads discussing Native Plant Nurseries in N. America -- it's an older thread but you might find one from your neck of the woods. :wink:

biwa

I'm not too familiar with the nurseries in this area and there seems to be a better selection of plants online, so I've gotten in the habit of doing most shopping online.

I noticed Oikos has a beech tree for sale. Can anyone speak for their quality?

[url]https://oikostreecrops.com/store/product.asp?cookiecheck=yes&numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=366&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=93[/url]

Pineville

Sticking a tree in a box and sending it off in the mail is enough to cause a tree to become unhealthy.

applestar
Mod

Well, I think it's not as bad when they're dormant. But live trees in leaf are another story. It takes at least a week of careful babying to get them to turn around after their few days in the dark, stifling package kept in who-knows-what kind of environment. I've seen all kinds of packaging too. Better nurseries do know what they're doing, with internal shipping supports to minimize movement, sufficient but not too wet media, and ventilated wrapping material to reduce condensation.

The biggest box of live tree I've ever had shipped is about 8ft long though (obviously including the roots).

How big a tree are you looking for, Biwa?

biwa

4-5 feet tall would be nice but I would settle for 1-2 feet. And yes, of course I would get it shipped and planted while dormant. I have received very healthy (non-beech) trees in the mail before. Unfortunately, none of the nurseries I've had good experiences with sell beech.

Parker
Newly Registered

I would not buy a tree online. Call a grower in your area, tell them what you are looking for, and you should be able to find something near where you live. The best part is, you can check them out and you have a better idea of what you are getting. I do this myself and I LOVE Beech trees. I have 5 of them.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”